Most everyone what to have a nice looking smile which includes having healthy teeth and gums. Yet there are still bad habit that are done by many people that can make then not have the smile they are wanting. Here are five bad habits you should avoid in order to maintain healthy teeth and gums and have a wonderful smile.
1) Not flossing: Many people still do not floss. Flossing at least once a day is critical in order to achieve and maintain a healthy smile. The bad habit is thinking that brushing your teeth is enough and flossing is not really necessary. Flossing removes the cavity causing bacteria which is left behind from food particles that get stuck between teeth.
2) Overly bleaching your teeth: We all seen at least one person that has teeth are too white, causing them to have that unnatural look. True we like to have nice white teeth but overzealous bleaching can cause your teeth to look unnaturally white as well as increase tooth sensitivity. Over the counter whitening kits can help to make your teeth whiter but make sure you use as directed and do not over use it. Also you may want to speak to your dentist about teeth whitening options.
3) Replacing your toothbrush: Many people do not replace their toothbrush often enough. Old toothbrushes are not only ineffective but the can harbor harmful bacteria that can cause infections. Therefore, you should change out your toothbrush every three to four months. It is also advise to change out your toothbrush after having a cold.
4) Hard-bristled toothbrush: A bad combination is a hard bristled toothbrush and aggressive brushing technique, as that can cause irreversible damage to your gums. Instead use a soft toothbrush and gently brush your teeth. Also make sure to brush your teeth at a 45-degree angle, in a circular motion. Using a back-and-forth, sawing motion causes the gums to recede, and can expose the root of the tooth, making teeth extremely sensitive.
5) Do not brush your teeth right after eating: Acidic foods and beverages, such as sports and energy drinks, citrus fruits, wine, and tomatoes, etc. can erode your tooth enamel. Yet, brushing your teeth too soon after eating and drinking these types of food and drink items can cause more damage because you are essentially brushing the acid into the teeth, not getting rid of it. You should instead, rinse your mouth with water after consuming acidic foods and beverages and wait at least 30 minutes before brushing your teeth.