Some of the things I suggest to do when looking for a dentist.
1) call the office that you are thinking about going to. Ask them all the general questions that are important to you. example: Hours of operation, how far booked up they are, That they are taking the insurance or plan that you may have, that in general speaking terms they do the services that you may be needed. ( Keep in mind they normally will not be able to answer direct questions like can you my root canal. They can answer if they do roots canal in general speaking terms) By making a phone call not only are you going to be able to confirm that they can help you but you also get a feel for the office. If the front office can not answer general questions or have a bad attitude to you when you call it may not be the right place to go to. Remember the dentist does the work but the office staff are the people that handles your bills and deal with your insurance and or plan.
2) You may what to go to the dental office you are thinking about going to. Check out how it looks. Is it clean? Do they seem friendly? Do they look like they are under staffed? How do you feel in their office?
3) You can also do a search on the web. Key in the office and or dentist name. See if you can find out information weather good or bad about the place or dentist you are thinking about going to.
4) If you have dental insurance/discount plan where you have to pick a dentist form their list of providers you may want to call them and see if they have had any bad complaints or coments about the dentist that they are listing.
5) If you have dental insurance and or plan make sure you understand what you are covered for and not covered for. Some people get upset at the dentist and or office when their insurance in not covering for what they expected. The office staff normally will try to stay with in your insurance coverages. However, it is up to you to make sure that they do. That is if you do not want an unexpected bill.
6) Weather you are choosing a dentist from a dental insurance plans data base and or one out of a phone book, you should do some limited work on your end to try and pick a dentist or office that seems right for you.
I hope I have helped you